Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Why oh why did God make cobras???


 

I know I know. I hate snakes and I hate photos and stories about snakes but please just let me get this out! Today we had a cobra in our yard. I didn't take the photo above. It was all so intense I didn't have time to take a picture. But I believe it was a brown spitting cobra. Let me tell you the whole story!

This afternoon I'd just made a sandwich for Carson's lunch when one of our puppies started barking. He's a good watch dog so I went to see if maybe someone was here. The fur on his back was all raised. I looked back where he was looking, in a corner of our yard and y'all I just about fainted! First I saw the tall grass move and then I saw a cobra's crazy head rise out of the grass and the snake started trying to climb the wall!!!! I was frozen for a few seconds and then hurried in and closed the doors and stuffed towels under the cracks. Then I ran next door to get our neighbor Sebit who is only 5 ft.4 and probably just a little over 100 pounds but soooo brave. He came with two other guys and together they killed that snake. It wasn't easy and our dogs kept wanting to play with it and that was super scary because it's a cobra that spits and I was so afraid it would get them! But the guys managed to kill it and then poured petrol on it and burned it. I guess that's how you do it here. 

So yeah I'll be walking around the yard later making sure all yard debris is burned or picked up and that we do away with any good snake hiding spots. The neighbors think it came looking for a cool place since it's been getting hot this week, up to 100 today! We have some drain pipes that take water from the yard out of the compound and we're going to be blocking those up for the dry season!

No comments:

Why does sickness like to hang around so long???

Only a few days after returning from our trip to Kenya, Judah started spiking high fevers. We took him to our clinic here in town for blood ...