Thursday, February 08, 2024

Literacy Training


Last week I branched out from homeschooling my kindergartener to train early childhood teachers. Teaching children how to read and write phonetically is not a well known concept in Uganda and teachers aren't trained to use that method. It was so exciting to share the methods I've used to teach not only my own children, but students in South Sudan and Uganda too.


4 moms with babies attended and I was so impressed that they didn't even cause a distraction!



On the 2nd day I did a demonstration with Carson and his buddy Jonah, teaching a full lesson to them while the teachers watched. Carson and Jonah modeled it perfectly!


On the last day, every participant was required to teach their own lesson and it was so much fun to see their creativity and own ideas and training come together. How wonderful it could be if children in Uganda could begin learning how to read this way!


The icing on the cake for me was that after the workshop, several teachers who are teaching in preschools here in Adjumani told me they are going to incorporate phonetics into their curriculum and they even asked if I'd come observe them in their classroom so I can offer more feedback and advice. Isn't that awesome?!
 

No comments:

Why does sickness like to hang around so long???

Only a few days after returning from our trip to Kenya, Judah started spiking high fevers. We took him to our clinic here in town for blood ...