Thursday, May 26, 2016

How Can I Run and Not Grow Weary?

How Can I Run and Not Grow Weary?

I am weary this week. Several busy weeks, one after the other without a chance to catch up on some rest, and the result has been several days where I wish I could run and hide. My fatigue is coming out in many ways – how I respond to my fourth grader when he bursts into tears over a tough math problem, selfishness, frustration with my husband, and an overall annoyance with the world. I had hoped that I’d get over it after having a bad day but it’s turned into four hard days. This afternoon, as I stole a few minutes alone on my bed under the fan to catch my breath, I opened an old book on my Kindle called “Hope for the Weary Mom”. This is a book I’ve read and re-read at least three times. I turned to Chapter 5: “When you Want to Run and Hide.”
            On a day when I want to run away from everything I’m responsible for, this statement from the book hit me hard, “What happens when we run and hide from the calling He has placed on our lives as moms, is that we end up running and hiding from our source of strength – Jesus.” Matt 11:28 – Jesus said, “Come to me all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest.”
            Today I’ve been thinking: If only I could be back in my house in Irmo, SC I wouldn’t have to deal with all this… or If only I could get a week away… or If only I didn’t have to do school with the boys every day I wouldn’t be so stressed. But these if only’s are not what I really need right now. What I really need is more of Jesus.
            I know from experience that there is no way to survive being poured out all day unless I allow Him to pour into me first at the beginning of each day. So this morning I came to Him asking, “How am I going to make it?” And He reminded me that He understands. HE UNDERSTANDS! Jesus understands what it’s like to pour your life out. He knew what it was like to live among the poor, the sick, and the terribly needy. He knew what it was like to have people constantly coming to Him for something. He knew weariness. And He promises, “He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless. Even youths will become weak and tired and young men will fall in exhaustion. But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.” Isaiah 40:29-31.
            “Moms who put their trust in the Lord have the promise of new strength and hope that will soar like eagles in their hearts” (Ch. 5 Hope for the Weary Mom). I can’t dwell on how I feel right now. Instead, I choose to believe that He will give me new strength as I press on and keep going. 








* The Book I mentioned: Hope for the Weary Mom by Stacey Thacker and Brooke McGlothlin

3 comments:

Unknown said...

very well put

Leeann said...

Yes, we need more of Jesus! Thank you for sharing!

Audrey said...

Oh Beth, so precious to hear your heart as you wrestle with feeling so exhausted and stressed. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences this past week. I'm praying for you. Hope that soars like eagles.

Why does sickness like to hang around so long???

Only a few days after returning from our trip to Kenya, Judah started spiking high fevers. We took him to our clinic here in town for blood ...