Wednesday, March 18, 2015

God will Prevail


This morning I was reading from Habakkuk. When he looked at the world, he was filled with fear, doubt and worry. But when he turned to God, he was assured God is present and in control.
Habakkuk 2:1 --- "I will climb up to my watchtower and stand at my guardpost. There I will wait to see what the Lord says."

2:3-4 --If it seems slow in coming, wait patiently, for it will surely take place. It will not be delayed. Look at the proud! They trust in themselves and their lives are crooked. But the righteous will live by their faithfulness to God.  (NLT)

To be honest, the struggle I'm having is that I have been waiting on the Lord for a year and a half regarding if we will be able to go back to Melut, our home in South Sudan. I know that is hardly anything compared to what some people wait. But this week I've grown weary of waiting. I'm tired of being in limbo. I have "heard" the Lord say, "Trust Me" and that in itself has not been hard to do, but now I'm tired of waiting and weary of having no direction.

But Habakkuk is so convinced that God has not abandoned His people that he basically says: "If everything is taken away from me, if the awful things I imagine come true, I will rejoice in the Lord anyway." Wow. What do I think of that?

Habakkuk would rejoice because he wholeheartedly trusted the Lord no matter what.
This is more than deciding to tough it out in bad times. Habakkuk decided to choose joy in the God of his salvation. The joy of my salvation gives me the strength to rejoice even when the worst things happen.

Psalm 73:25-26 ---  Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

As I was reading these passages of Scripture this morning, I couldn't help but think, "Yikes, is God preparing me for something? Is he prepping me to hear bad news? Or at least something I don't want to hear?"  I'm not sure what that answer is but the theme has definitely made it's way into my heart.

  1. I will wait patiently.
  2. I will still rejoice - NO MATTER WHAT.

2 comments:

Denise H. said...

I love you Bethany. Thanks for sharing your heart. Praying that you will hear the desires of your heart from the One that you love with your life.

Unknown said...

loved reading your heart today!
-Heath

Why does sickness like to hang around so long???

Only a few days after returning from our trip to Kenya, Judah started spiking high fevers. We took him to our clinic here in town for blood ...